Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Be patient in times of difficulties

I was engaged in a long conversation with a sister about some sisters I know personally who have left Islaam.

A sister I knew many years ago came to my attention today when I noticed the recurrent status that she posted blaming God for the mishaps that happened to her and seemed to imply that praying to Him causes her more grieve than it does happiness. In a nutshell, her life came to a halt when she was met with a tragic accident some years ago which resulted in lose of memory. It took a year (if I remember correctly) before she regained her memory again. I went to her profile and saw that she had changed to 'agnostic' under her religious views. Allahu'alam.

This is the sister who used to top the class in religious studies. She was respected for her good character and impressed religious teachers for her knowledge of the Deen. I remember her as being a role model to the younger ones to follow and I was one of them who tried to emulate her.

It is sad to learn about our own Muslims leaving Islaam as a result of obstacles that they had to face. I can relate to her on some level so I guess I know how it feels. But still, who am I to judge? Allah has clearly stated in the Qur'an that He chooses whom He wants to be guided. Therefore, if it is not in His will to guide someone, it would be a futile attempt to try convince a person to embrace Islaam.

Indeed it was also mentioned in the following Suraahs:

"Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: "We believe," and will not be tested. And We indeed tested those who were before them.... " (29:2)

"Or think you that you will enter Paradise without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? They were afflicted with severe poverty and ailments and were so shaken that even the Messenger and those who believed along with him said, "When (will come) the Help of Allâh?" Yes! Certainly, the Help of Allâh is near!" (2:214)

Sisters, this reminder is for ME first before I remind any of you because I fear of being afflicted with hardships and then forgetting the importance of being patient in times of difficulties. We should be closer to Allah when we are being tested because of the immense rewards we get for being patient and constantly seeking Allah's help in rectifying our affairs. I fear that my heart is too attached to this dunya that any loss in property or loved ones becomes the cause for my loss of eemaan.

The sister whom I was discussing about this with said that if we truly understood how it is like in the Hereafter, any afflictions that we face in this dunya suddenly becomes trivial in our eyes. We would not live in this dunya like we would now if we could catch just a glimpse of Jannah.

Verily, We sent (Messengers) to many nations before you (O Muhammad SAW). And We seized them with extreme poverty (or loss in wealth) and loss in health with calamities so that they might believe with humility. (42) When Our Torment reached them, why then did they not humble themselves (believe with humility)? But their hearts became hardened, and Shaitân (Satan) made fair-seeming to them that which they used to do. (43) So, when they forgot (the warning) with which they had been reminded, We opened for them the gates of every (pleasant) thing, until in the midst of their enjoyment in that which they were given, all of a sudden, We took them (in punishment), and lo! They were plunged into destruction with deep regrets and sorrows. (6:42)

Innallahamaasobirin; Truly, Allah is with those who are patient.

I came across a blog post today about a known sister who left Islaam and it saddens me to read about her. Allahu'alam on the validity of it. May Allah guide them back to Islaam, aameen.

Sisters, if we do come across another sister who is facing such a situation, please do not be the first to judge and call her a Kafir. I came across a couple of brothers and sisters who are too quick to criticize them without trying to help rectify the problem. Only Allah can be the judge, not us. We can help by understanding their situations and clear up possible misconceptions they may have. Who knows, by Allah's will, they might embrace Islaam again. Allahu'alam.

May Allah keep our hearts firm on this Deen, Aameen.

The bounty that comes from Allah to a believer due to his trial is greater than the bounty that comes from Allah during his times of ease. [Ibn Rajab}

2 comments:

  1. Assalamualaikum Ms. R.
    I think I know which sister you are referring to. I am sad by the news personally because I've been following her development as a Muslim and feels so proud of her.
    However, I do not want to judge her because I know living in a non-Muslim country like her is quite hard especially when she was a revert.
    May Allah protect us all by helping us to be strong spiritually to endure the test to our imaan on this world.
    And may Allah guide her back to the straight path. I know a sister who reverts to Islam and after so many years as a Muslim she became a Christian again and alhamdulillah now she's find peace in Islam.
    Yes, may Allah keeps our hearts firm on His Deen, Aameen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wa alaikom salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh Kakchik,

    Ye sis, news about our own Muslims leaving Islaam is becoming increasingly common. The sister you are referring to has grown so much and she exudes so much maturity and love for the Deen that it becomes almost unbelievable that this would happen to her. I really pray that she talks to other sisters who can help her out with this.

    Aameen to all of that sis. We can only make dua for her that she will be guided again. Al-hamdulillah, it's good to hear about the sister who came back to Islaam again. It is not easy when we are faced with trials and tribulations but may Allah make it easy for everyone to remain patient in these testing times, aameen.

    ReplyDelete